Sammie Joseph operated the drive-in and remodeled it by adding the east side dining room in May of 1947. The main dining room was added in 1954. The business was soon sold and Sammie’s Drive-In became Eli’s Lounge. (A section of wallpaper can be seen by the front entrance.) In October of 1964, Eli’s Lounge became the Picante Mexican Restaurant and operated until May of 1969. Homer “Hut” Hutson bought the lease and turned Picante’s into Hut’s Hamburgers. Hut’s originally began on South Congress in late 1939 and moved to the location now occupied by GSD&M in 1959. Hut’s remained there until moving to its present location in late 1969. The business changed hands a few times until we bought it in 1981, the year of the great flood. Everything surrounding Hut’s was seriously damaged but Hut’s sustained little damage causing Texas Monthly Magazine to coin the phrase “God Bless Hut’s.”
Burgers are also available with Buffalo, Longhorn Beef, Boneless Chicken Breast or 100% Vegan Veggie Burger. We take pride that our Buffalo and Longhorn are both raised in Texas. We get them directly from the source. The Davis family of Bandera Grasslands and the Fitzsimons Family of Thunder Heart Bison of Shape Ranch deliver to us as needed. Both are certified AGA Grassfed and raised humanely to receive the Animal Welfare Approved Seal. Both are exceptional in flavor and have health benefits not found in regular beef. We suggest that they be cooked medium.
© 2019 Found Media Group